BLACKWALL POINT GENERATING STATION
The use of the site for a generating station dates back to 1900 when a supply was commenced by the Blackheath and Greenwich District Electric Light Company Limited.
The original station went through many stages of development until its demolition as time-expired plant in l947. At the time of closing down the old station housed some l5,0000 KW of generating plant.
The new station, built on the existing site, is of 90,000 KW capacity. Demolition of the old station commenced on the lst April l947, and the first unit ( l x 30 MW turbo-alternator and l x 365 K.lb/hr. boiler) was commissioned on the 28th June,l95l.
An indication of the advance in design of generating plant may be given from the records of the old station for l904, which show that 7.6 lbs., of coal were consumed to generate l unit, whilst the corresponding figure for the new station in l952 was l.ll4 lbs.
The general layout of the station was very largely influenced by the restricted site available (3.47 acres). The turbo-alternators are placed longitudinally in the tune house, and the boilers arranged in a single row parallel to the machines, with no dividing wall between turbine and boiler house. The electrostatic precipitators and fans are stationed on the boiler house roof.
The canteen and stores building is in line with the turbine and boiler houses, and the administrative block – including main switchgear and control room – is situated on the opposite side of River Way with an interconnecting bridge to the turbine house.
All coal is sea-borne to the station, the jetty being designed to accommodate ships up to 3,000 tons at the outer berth. Provision is made at the inner berth for discharge of ash and dust to barges. Two jetty cranes, each capable of handling up to 200 tons per hour,. are installed for discharging ships
Official publicity handout 1960s.
Return to Blackwall Point Power Station