Lovells Wharf – originally known as Greenwich Wharf – is the first wharf on the west bank of the Peninsula once you leave Ballast Quay and East Greenwich. It is now a development site with flats and houses, built by London and Regional (Geoff Springer).
The site was developed in the early 19th century by Coles Child for Morden College. This consisted of a large parcel of land which was divided and sub-divided into wharves, frequently named for lessees and/or operators – Granite, Pipers and so on. The development by London and Regional has re-united these elements and is building on the same area as Coles Child.
The following is a brief timeline of the site.
Pre-1838 Great Meadow & Dog Kennel Field
1838 – Coles Child signs a lease with Morden College
1844 – Coles Child leases the rest of the land 1840-1841 to Mr. Walker, limeburner
1841 – Coles Child. coal wharf, coke burning and lime kilns
1852 – The Wharf is divided and Granite Wharf becomes separate. Rowton and Whiteway manage the wharf for Coles Child – cement, lime, coal
1900s John Waddell and Co. – coal merchant. .
1880s – Ashby, ice merchant – builds an ice well on site.
1919 Coles Child’s lease expires pre-1900 Joseph Guy keel and lighter owners, also at 21 High Street, Hull. taken over by Shaw Lovell from 1911.
1919 192? Yarmouth Carriers – tug operators, river haulage operators, at Hull and 31 Eastcheap.
1916 Pickett, Edward Norman trading as Norman Houlford & Co
1919 Davis Morgan & Co, sub tenants of Joseph Guy 1920 C. Shaw Lovell & Sons – metal transhipment & general wharfingers
Lovell’s House. computer centre was built on Pelton Road and – eventually passed to the GLC
2002 Groundwork reported: “Lovell’s Wharf. Designated a safeguarded wharf, it has not been used for many years and its viability for, re-use as such is questionable – its development status is in abeyance. Tragically, the landmark scotch derrick cranes were removed before they could be listed, to the great detriment of the river landscape Improvements to the riverside walk access from Ballast Quay, and to the surfacing generally along the footpath, were carried out by Greenwich Council prior to the Millennium.
Development by London and Regional proceeds
Return to Lovells Wharf