PEAR TREE WHARF
Pear Tree Marsh refers to the area of riverside, and marsh, to the east of Bugsby’s Hole. Currently Greenwich Yacht Club occupies a jetty previously known as Pear Tree Wharf. It could be described as the riverside going north west from the ‘Kings Sluice’ at the end of Horn Lane, and continuing north west for a field’s length. On the Skinner Plan of 1746 the riverside field to the east was owned by Sir William Sanderson, and let to Thomas Moor. The Sandersons were residents, at East Combe in Charlton. In 1746 the current Sir William held the important office of Black Rod. Subsequent maps show the area effectively deserted – on the 1880s Richardson plan it is part of a large area let to Mason Brothers as market gardens.
Return to Pear Tree Wharf