mill ms contents0001 – this is a scan of a list of contents of the mill in 1892
Maudslay sold 5 ferries in all to the Turks
With reference to the Maudslay Shipbuilding Yard at Greenwich. I am currently living and working in the city of Salvador, Bahia, Brasil. As a scuba diver I am taking advantage of the local warm water and diving as often as possible. One of the sites we visit, especially if we have new divers, is a wreck know locally as the Black Drr, a Norwegian steam/sail ship. Very recently a local diver has discovered that the ship is actually the Blackadder. She lies alongside the shore line at the bottom of a rock outcrop. Two of the masts lie pointing out to sea and there is very little of her hull left. The site is between 2 and 10 Metres and approximately 50 Metres off shore.
Chris Freeth 2001
The riverside area now known as Granite Wharf began as an extension of the Greenwich Wharf area developed by Coles Child. It was then let to Mowlem, and became, successively, Wimpey and Tarmac until their lease was terminated in 2000.
Pre-1838 Great Meadow & Dog Kennel Field
1838 – Coles Child signs a lease with Morden College
1844 – Coles Child leases the rest of the land
1850-1860 Edwards factory and sheds
1850-60 George Bullock – grid iron for ships
1852 Mowlem lease the wharf from Coles Child
1936 Wimpey depot on the wharf. Manufacturers of road surfacing materials.
1950s Ovenall & Nelan Ltd., barge and tug repairs
1990s TarmacWilders and Walker Moorings (cf Shrubsall)
In 2002 Groundwork reported “Granite Wharf. Safeguarded wharf, but Tarmac have ceased their aggregate deliveries and its status is uncertain at present. The timber fencing surrounding the wharf was stained blue and green to reduce impact of graffiti, in 1999.
Sluice inlet between Granite and Badcock Wharf. An eyesore site to many eyes, this disused corner site is located directly above a drainage sluice outlet is nevertheless well colonised by plants.
Information on Lovells Wharf
Lovells Wharf three articles by Mary Mills published in Bygone Kent November 1999, December 1999 and March 2000)
LRA report on wharves description of the wharf in a review undertaken by the London Rivers Association 1980s
Rowton and Whiteway
Cement – see articles Lovells Wharf
John Waddell and Co.
Davis Morgan & Co,
Joseph Guy. Hull Co.
Removal of Cranes copy of letter from Government office re. listing
Letters re background and listing of cranes letters re. Lovells cranes0001
London and Regional Developer
lovells developer leaflet0001 copy of developer’s newsletter lovells original brochure0001 Revised regeneration proposals by the developer Lovells developer leaflet0001 on revision of housing development plans 2012 London and Regional Properties Return to Lovells Wharf
THE MOLASSINE Co., Ltd., Tunnel Avenue, Greenwich, S.E.10. Telephone-Greenwich 135l.
The Molassine Co., Ltd., occupies about 5 acres of land on the Thames side at East Greenwich.
It is well-known to users of the “river and excursionists by its great steel tanks, which are capable of holding nearly 20,000 tons of Molasses, while its imposing offices in Tunnel Avenue cannot be missed.
The Company manufactures Molassine Meal, so popular with owners of live stock everywhere, also Molassirie Poultry Foods and Molassine Dog and Puppy Cakes, as well as the smaller products, such as Mollets, Stimo and Vims, which “dogs love,” the latter having become a household word. Supplies may be had from corn dealers everywhere.
Return to Molassine
Industrial sites in Riverway
Frank Hills – Chemical Works (information on this site after 1895 as Phoenix Wharf can be found under Gasworks)
Cutting from Kentish Mercury 1846 on accident at Hills’ chemical works – see post
D.C.Davies – Extracts on Hills mining interests (not yet loaded)
Bryan Hope Chapter from A Curious Place on Henry Hills (copyright not loaded)
Mary Mills THE EARLY EAST LONDON GAS INDUSTRY AND ITS WASTE PRODUCTS (more material on the same site)
Letter on demolition of Redpath Brown site. Andrew Turner
Final demolition of Redpath Brown buildings on the Dome site
Blackwall Point Power Station
Blackwall Point Power Station – article from GIHS Newsletter
Blackwall Point Power Station – official handout
Blackwall Point Power Station – note and sources
Damn Your Eyes Mr. Sharp – article by Mary Mills for local paper
New East Greenwich – article by Mary Mills for Bygone Kent
Olinthus Gregory’s Description of the East Greenwich Tide Mill – contemporary account 1802 from Mechanics by Gregory who was a Professor at the Royal Military Academy
Richard Trevithick and the boiler explosion
The Explosion – Article by Mary Mills for Bygone Kent
Weale on the Explosion – contempory account from J.Farey, Treatise on the Steam Engine
Richard Trevithick Letter about the Explosion – copy of letter from Trevithick’s biography
Anniversary article – article by Mary Mills for local press
Richard Trevithick in East Greenwich – article by Mary Mills for Bygone Kent
200th Anniversary of an industrial accident – article in Greenwich Industrial History Newsletter – need to scroll down a bit
East Greenwich Tide Mill – later 19th century accounts – from The Engineer and Mechanics Magazine
Bugsby’s Hole – Some articles about the area and its originals
NOTE THAT SOME OF THESE ITEMS HAVE COMMENTS FROM A MR. BUGBY WHO MAY, AT LAST, HAVE FOUND WHO BUGSBY WAS
Other Bugsby’s holes – note by Mary Mills
Letter from Pat O’Driscoll – please see very important comment on this posting by Dale Bugby
Who was Bugsby (cutting from PLA Journal by Mr Green) please see very important comment on this posting by Dale Bugby
The Importance of Being Bugsby. Muriel Searle. Port of London. January 1975. (not reproduced, no copyright permission)
Bugsby’s Hole. letter to the press – Kentish Mercury 1923 An altered roadway – newspaper cutting – some recollections – Kentish Mercury 1932 Also see http://onthethames.net/2014/02/14/platform-defence-bugsbys-reach/ Return to Riverway