George Bullock and James West
Bullock is shown in the rate books on two separate sites on the Peninsula during the 1850s and early 1860s. One is at Morden Wharf – where he is shown as having a ‘barge house’ and the other adjacent to Granite Wharf with a ‘grid iron for ships’.
In 1860 a lease was also granted by Coles Child to James West ‘for bank and foreshore’ opposite the brickfield of Rowton and Whiteway.
At Morden Wharf James West is listed for having a barge house in 1861 with Bullock on neighbouring site.
In 1869 a ‘grid iron’ marked in the river roughly in the area of the end of the current Morden Wharf Lane.
In the 1860s Bullock advertised services in the Kentish Mercury as a ship repairer and timber merchant with an address in Thames Street, Greenwich. He was also described as a having a ‘patent slip and ship building yard’