DISTRICT BOARD OF WORKS
The Board of Works Yard – in effect the depot for Greenwich Council. The yard is first shown on maps of the 1880s. Board’s of Works were abolished in 1889 but it is assumed that the Depot remained on site until the Council moved it to further down Tunnel Avenue, to what became Tunnel Avenue Depot some time before 1914.
The 1880s Ordnance Map shows the yard with an entrance from Chester Street (now Banning Street) and a structure, which appears to be a ramp, leading from the centre of the yard to a jetty and wharf – was this used as a ramp for dustcarts tipping from the jetty? This ramp is shown in subsequent uses of the yard and may, in fact, still be there.
Badcock seems to have been on site from about 1914.