FORBES ABBOTT & LEONARD In the 1867 James Forbes, based at Iceland Wharf, at Old Ford on the Lea in Hackney, patented various means of making sulphate of ammonia and sulphuric acid where he has been based from at least the mid 1840s apparently in partnership with a Mr. Abbott and Mr. Leonard. They contracted with London gas companies to buy chemical waste. They moved to East Greenwich to a site near Blackwall Point where they made a variety of chemical products. When South Metropolitan Gas Company purchased Ordnance Wharf they moved south to a site adjacent to Victoria Deep Water Wharf which they called Sussex Wharf – this may relate to their works at Shoreham and Rye in Sussex. In Greenwich they made anthracene, hydrochloric acid.